Friday, October 14, 2011

Mixed Media


     There's only a few days left to see this delightful exhibit by Marge Fulton from Hazard, KY.  It's at the Big Sandy Community and Technical College (BSCTC) in Prestonsburg, KY.  There are about 30 pieces in the show and much of  the work has such detail and variety of mediums that a person could ponder on each piece for quite a while.  Much of the exhibit follows the path of art journaling with the use of text as well as images resulting in this show becoming a very thought provoking as well as aesthetically pleasing experience.

     I was pleased to be able to finally meet artist/instructor Tim Sizemore while at the BSCTC gallery.  What little bit I talked to him I realized he is quite an interesting individual. I asked him if he could maybe start a Facebook page or something so that those of us in the community could be kept up to date as to the exhibits that are going on at the college. I haven't seen one yet, when I do I will post the link here.  Marge mailed me the above pictured postcard that announced her exhibit, which was a great idea and left me with a little souvier of sorts to remember the exhibit.  I keep a scrapbook of all the art exhibits and museums that I attend and this postcard will go into my scrapbook.
     I attended an Art Journaling Workshop taught by Marge at the Appalachian Artisan Center in Hindman, KY a while back and loved it.  Marge is a great instructor and had an unbelievable amount of supplies that she so generously shared with us.  The workshop was great fun and I hope that she will do more things like that in the future.  It did my heart good to set aside some time just to be creative and also to be around others that understand that need to create and express yourself. Here is a link to the Artisan Center in Hindman:

http://www.artisancenter.net/

I think my favorite piece in the Mixed Media exhibit was one made from several different materials, layers and textures, all on a reclaimed block of wood.  It is amazing to think that so many of its elements could have been viewed as worthless and ready for the trash, but the artist's choices made each item work together to become a work of art.  Magical.


My favorite piece from the exhibit features an image of Bob Dylan.  Sorry but I can't remember the title.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed taking in Marge's artwork.

    ReplyDelete